Optimizing for writes. Data integrity not critical

From: Steve Bergman <steve(at)rueb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Optimizing for writes. Data integrity not critical
Date: 2005-05-19 22:21:07
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi,

I am using postgresql in small (almost trivial) application in which I
pull some data out of a Cobol C/ISAM file and write it into a pgsl
table.  My users can then use the data however they want by interfacing
to the data from OpenOffice.org.

The amount of data written is about 60MB and takes a few minutes on a
1200Mhz Athlon with a single 60MB IDE drive running Fedora Core 3 with
pgsql 7.4.7.  I'd like to speed up the DB writes a bit if possible.
Data integrity is not at all critical as the database gets dropped,
created, and populated immediately before each use.  Filesystem is ext3,
data=ordered and I need to keep it that way as there is other data in
the filesystem that I do care about.  I have not done any tuning in the
config file yet, and was wondering what things would likely speed up
writes in this situation.

I'm doing the writes individually.  Is there a better way?  Combining
them all into a transaction or something?

Thanks,
Steve Bergman

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Steinar H. GundersonDate: 2005-05-19 22:27:31
Subject: Re: Which is better, correlated subqueries or joins?