Re: New acinclude.m4

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
Cc: "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>,Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New acinclude.m4
Date: 2005-05-19 19:24:20
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Raphaël Enrici wrote:
> Florian G. Pflug wrote:
>>Raphaël Enrici wrote:
>>>I have warning concerning ENABLE_STATIC in configure script. Shouldn't
>>>we also remove it crom configure.ac ? (patch attached).
>>

>>Does this mean the linking statically is not possible anymore?
>>Or has the check just moved to another place?
>
> To me, as Adam is making the build relying on wx-config flags, the build
>  is considered static if wxWid was built with --disabled-shared passed
> to  its configure. In the case where wxWidgets has been built with
> --enable-shared, pgadmin will inherit this default and build dynamically
> (same thing if both shared and static wxWid libs were built, the shared
> build will become the default...).
Will a statically-built wx make the _whole_ pgadmin link statically too,
or will only the wx-libraries be linkes statically and e.g. libpq
dynamically. It would be the right thing to do, I guess - but then there
would be need for a global "--enable-static" flag, that defined
the linking-type for all other libs beside wx. At least for OSX,
linking the release-versions statically it the most reliable method,
while keeping the resulting app small.

> Maybe it would be worth to still being able to force a static build by
> passing "--static" to wx-config in our acinclude.m4. Something like :
> if we pas --enable-static to our configure, then pass --static to
> wx-config so that we build statically, if not then don't pass anything
> in particular.
Sounds reasonable - additionally --enable-static should link e.g. libpq
statically too.

greetings, Florian Pflug