Re: Database 'xxxx', OID yyyyy, has disappeared from pg_database

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Glenn <mike(at)mglenn(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database 'xxxx', OID yyyyy, has disappeared from pg_database
Date: 2002-04-25 18:23:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

Michael Glenn <mike(at)mglenn(dot)com> writes:
> I downloaded pg_dumpfile (thank you) then eventually found out I need to
> download, configure, and point to 7.2.1 source to compile, which makes
> sense now.
> I compiled and attempted a dump with the references and without the
> references to LSN from the function FormatHeader. In both cases I
> received the dump output below indicating "Invalid header
> information.". Now, is each block header corrupted OR is the dump
> utility not able to read older pg_database files?

If you compiled the pg_dumpfile sources using 7.2 header files, then
they'd be using the 7.2 page header struct, which is the wrong thing.
You need to use the 7.0 version of the PageHeaderData struct
(see src/include/storage/bufpage.h).

My inclination would be to try to compile pg_dumpfile against the 7.0
headers not 7.2. You might have to rip out references to pg_control and
CRC checking to make that work, but there are no CRCs in 7.0 files
anyway so you won't lose any functionality. Once it does compile you
could be pretty sure that it would actually work.