Re: Array function

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Array function
Date: 2004-11-01 03:40:47
Lists: pgsql-docs

David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> Here's a little addition to the array functions & operators section of
> the manual. It adds a function array() to the list.

The ARRAY() construct isn't really a function; it is a special syntax
documented in Array Constructors,
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-expressions.html#SQL-SYNTAX-ARRAY-CONSTRUCTORS

The addition you propose is misleading, because it would lead people to
expect to find array() in the output of \df, for example. It might be
reasonable to put in some kind of "see also" cross-reference in the
array functions section, but we shouldn't list array() as though it were
just like every other function in the section.