Re: Delphi - Developers start develop Access components

From: Daniel Schuchardt <daniel_schuchardt(at)web(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com
Subject: Re: Delphi - Developers start develop Access components
Date: 2005-05-10 19:53:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Tony Caduto schrieb:

> The issues mentioned with Zeos have been fixed, the 6.x branch works
> very well now and it much faster
> thant the 5.x versions.
> I use cursors all the time in my functions and return a refcursor
> which I then fetch.

??
How? On EoF of a TDataSet? Its clear that you can fetch manually. How do
you do that?

> The latest version of PostgresDAC from microolap also works good, I
> tried there 1.x stuff but it was designed for PG 7.2
> and had no support at all for schemas.
> Zeos does seem to be going no where.
>
> I for one would not object to starting something new that just
> targeted Postgresql and worked with all features
> i.e. like canceling a query and asynchronous queries.
> The best bet would to just fork Zeos and pull out what is needed, no
> need to start totally from scratch.

Thats what I would do too. Start a completely new Project makes no
sence, there are good Sources we could take and modify. But for speed
reasons I would support only PostgreSQL and RIP out anything else.

> Does anyone have experience writing Tdataset decendents?

Hm me not really, I fixed up things in zeos but thats all. All in all
that can't be really complicated, there are many small components
(textdrivers) and so that all are TDataSet descendents. So I think thats
not the point most complicated out there.

> The .net driver does work well, but ADO.net does not support always
> connected sessions, it works in a offline mode exactly
> like tclientdataset.
>
> Even with these small problems I still would never do a GUI database
> app with C# or Java when I can do it much faster and
> easier with Delphi.

Hm I think in that way too. But I try to reduce buissines logic in
Delphi. Delphi is still the best RAD - Developement tool IMHO.

Daniel