Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date: 2005-05-05 18:17:12
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Do we want to consider adding in a "mirror" of the JDBC/ODBC stuff in
> the same way? Based on the direction we are taking, I'm all for it ..
> the idea being that when beta starts, the JDBC folk (or ODBC, or ?)
> would submit a mega patch to be applied to the tree and tag'd in with
> the rest of it, and beta distribution copies built up ... development
> of the various drivers would remain on gborg/pgfoundry where they are
> now, all we'd have in our CVS would be 'the released version' ...

This is just a horrible horrible idea. Code needs to have one
authoritative home. I know the dreadful fate of Cassandra, but please
think very carefully about this. The "mega patch just before release"
would bite quite horribly. I have had to manage projects where we had to
sync between repos - even in a much smaller more manageable commercial
environment it sucked badly, and we quickly abandoned it.

cheers

andrew