Re: Official ODBC announcement

From: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Official ODBC announcement
Date: 2005-04-28 15:54:01
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Stephen Frost wrote:
> I guess you might be able to show that a given closed-source
> application depends on the GPL ODBC driver if it uses
> PostgreSQL-specific SQL/features and doesn't work for some reason with
> the current LGPL ODBC driver.  Still seems like a bit of a stretch.

(IANAL, but apparently I just played one on TV.)

If your application links in GPL-code then you can *only* distribute
it under the GPL, at least according to the last GPL package provider
I've occasion to talk with at length).

This means that your closed source application is in violation of
the GPL once you distribute it.  There are ways around this
that *may* get closed under GPL3 (and are generally too ugly anyway).

What I don't grok (sorry, sci-fi freak) is how dual-licensed
packages work.  That is, if package A has both a GPL and non-GPL
license, but links (internally) GPL'd package B, how *can* package
A be distributed under the non-GPL license?

-Steve
--
Steve Wampler -- swampler(at)noao(dot)edu