Re: Official ODBC announcement

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>,pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Official ODBC announcement
Date: 2005-04-28 15:22:57
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Steve Wampler wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>>>Why?  Because we have specialized, complex hardware (telescopes
>>>and instruments) purchased with software from vendors using
>>>non-GPL compatible licenses.  We, as a non-profit organization,
>>>cannot afford the extra $$$
>>

>>You can't afford 25.00? Or even 200.00? Or even a 50% discount
>>do non-profits?
>

> We're talking on the order of $500,000(USD) dollars -

No were not. My point was if Command Prompt charged you 25.00 or even
200.00 or based on the above number even 1000.00 dollars.

  these are not
> inexpensive systems (a telescope mount assembly is millions of
> dollars) and (whether it's politic or not) the vendors have no desire to
> put their source out.  We cannot pass such project cost increases on to
> our customers (we have none).  Of course, if we can get a non-GPL license
> for ODBC for the smaller sums you've mentioned, that would help.  (The last
> GPL package we tried to negotiate a non-GPL license source for [still
> open-source, just not GPL] came with a >$25,000(USD) price tag.

Good lord. We zero intention of doing that. We are talking about
a ODBC driver. Now if it were Replicator... That would probably be a
different story.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting