Re: Official ODBC announcement

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>,pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Official ODBC announcement
Date: 2005-04-28 14:57:13
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> Why?  Because we have specialized, complex hardware (telescopes
> and instruments) purchased with software from vendors using
> non-GPL compatible licenses.  We, as a non-profit organization,
> cannot afford the extra $$$

You can't afford 25.00? Or even 200.00? Or even a 50% discount
do non-profits?

  it would take to convince those
> vendors to provide us the same software under a GPL and there
> is *no other* source of such software that we can afford,
> either (the "other source" is to write it ourselves or hire
> someone to do so). The GPL does not permit us to link this vendor
> code in with code that also links in GPL-based libraries.

And actually if you don't distribute your code you can but I don't know
what you do.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting