PostgreSQL in FreeBSD jails

From: Alexander Rusinov <boot(at)eurocom(dot)od(dot)ua>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL in FreeBSD jails
Date: 2005-04-26 11:24:58
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi,

I need to run a number of PostgreSQL servers in different FreeBSD jails.
I managed to run a first instance of PostgreSQL server in a jail, but
after I launch a new server in another jail the first one starts to
return an error messages like the following:

semctl(1507328, 4, SETVAL, 0) failed: Invalid argument

The problem in general is: only one instance of PostgreSQL server
normally processes clients' connections, all of the others return semctl
errors.

The system is FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE. SEM and SHM sysctl setting are:

# sysctl -a | grep shm
kern.ipc.shmmax: 100000000
kern.ipc.shmmin: 1
kern.ipc.shmmni: 192
kern.ipc.shmseg: 128
kern.ipc.shmall: 32768
kern.ipc.shm_use_phys: 0
kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed: 0

# sysctl -a | grep sem
kern.ipc.semmap: 256
kern.ipc.semmni: 256
kern.ipc.semmns: 512
kern.ipc.semmnu: 256
kern.ipc.semmsl: 60
kern.ipc.semopm: 100
kern.ipc.semume: 10
kern.ipc.semusz: 92
kern.ipc.semvmx: 32767
kern.ipc.semaem: 16384

Trying to solve the problem I've set the following in postgresql.conf files:
max_connections = 5
shared_buffers = 100

Please help! What am I doing wrong?

--
Alexander Rusinov

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Oliver Duke-WilliamsDate: 2005-04-26 12:13:11