Re: possible TODO: read-only tables, select from indexes

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: possible TODO: read-only tables, select from indexes
Date: 2005-04-23 22:12:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:

> As Ron says, until we have partitioning, it isn't as useful for DW.

Well, it's a bit stronger than what I said. The last big DW I dealt
with did have previous quarter's data archived into different tables,
and those could be marked read-only. Also, quite a few of our
ID<->Value lookup tables have a fixed or slowly changing set of
values (products, states, etc); and those would benefit from index scans.

But yes, it'd be an even nicer feature with partitioning, since then
you could hypothetically keep inserting into a mostly-read-only table
and mark partitions read-only as needed.

I think I was trying to say it'd be even more useful for DW with
partitioning - and I hope that when partitioning is being designed
it considers the possibility of taking advantage of read-only
partitions if we happen to implement read-only tables.