Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents
Date: 2005-04-22 21:16:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-www
>>We are not building an artificial heart here, we are building a database
>>and databases have been around for decades.
>

> Well, ARC seems like a new database idea, at least in the past few
> years.  Are you saying ARC is either "ridiculous" or has prior art?  I
> know 2Q is similar, but not identical, and ARC does have some small
> improvements over it.

In this case I would say it is both. 2Q should (if not is) be considered
prior art. Otherwise it would not have been as plug-n-play as it was.
Note I am not making light of the work that it took, I couldn't have
done it and I am glad that someone else had to.

Secondly I would say that an ARC patent is ridiculous based on the above
experience.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Managed Services, Shared and Dedication Hosting