Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents
Date: 2005-04-22 16:47:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

> o patents are bad
> o software patents are bad

We are specifically talking about software patents. I think that should
be the only realm we address.

> The bottom line is that for permanent content, you are going to have to
> get super-majority agreement on all these issues in your statement, or
> keep it narrow enough so you can get such a majority.

So far only one person has said no (Neil). That is fairly clear to me.

> (Everytime I email about patents I am careful because I suspect my words
> might be used against me some day in court, so I do try to avoid the
> subject in public discourse if possible.)

Well I have no such concern. Software patents are stupid. There only
purpose is to generate protective revenue for corporations against the
inspiring minds of others.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
President
Command Prompt, Inc.

Managed Services, Shared and Dedication Hosting