Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: Andy Astor <andya(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents
Date: 2005-04-22 03:47:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Just my $0.02

My company supports a wide range of open source software, and we develop
some software ourselves.

IANAL, this is not legal advice so much as it is advice on how to make
the community comfortable with your patents.

If your company really wants to have defensive patents, I would suggest
a public license to them stating that anyone has permission to use them
provided that they do not sue your company or any of your affiliates for
patent infringement of any type. Talk this over with your lawyer and
maybe look at the Apache 2.x license, or the IBM Public License (OpenAFS
is released under this license) as an example of how this could be done.

Many of us remember how companies have claimed that their patents were
to be enforced defensively only until they decided that they might be
able to gain competitive advantage by suing other companies over them.
A pledge of non-enforcement is worth very little to our community. I
license on condition of non-enforcement of one's own patents, otoh may
be more helpful.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting