Re: Roadmap for pgAdmin3 on OSX

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Roadmap for pgAdmin3 on OSX
Date: 2005-04-13 12:42:36
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Florian G. Pflug wrote:

>>> There is no official binary for OSX that I'm aware of - certainly not on
>>> the PostgreSQL ftp site anyway. However, I assume OSX uses a BSD-like
>>> init system, in which case looking for /etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql or
>>> whatever is appropriate would work for the majority of sensibly
>>> configured systems. WRT 4), again, we could just assume that
>>> installations will be in /usr/local/pgsql/data or /var/pgsql/data or
>>> whatever, as appropriate. Last time I tried that code it let me pick
>>> other locations anyway so there shouldn't be any major problems.
>>
>> Hm.. no, OSX doesn't use sysv-style (or bsd-style) init-scripts.
>> I has a quite similar system (also based on shell-scripts), but
>> each shell-script is acompanied by a plist file, describing
>> e.g. the dependencies. I believe that there is a api for starting
>> and stopping services, but I'll have to check.
>> Maybe we could add a preference specifying the servicename of
>> postgres (since it might be PostgreSQL, or postgres, or postgresql, ...)
>
> A default won't really work, because we can't know if that server
> registration really belongs to the init/start script (as opposed to
> win32, where we *create* the localhost server registration from that).

So pgadmin3 on windows checks if there is a service called "postgresql" (or
whatever), and then create a server definition for that postgres instance if
it find an appropriate service?
How does pgadmin3 know the configuration for the service? (I guess it at least
needs to know the port number)
Maybe something similar is possible on osx...

>> On a related note - I often missed the ability to switch a given
>> sql-window
>> to another connection (e.g. when I have to execute the same sql-script
>> on multiple machines). Would it be possible to add a dropdrown menu to
>> the
>> sql-window which selects the connection to use? If I'd come up with a
>> patch,
>> would it be accepted?
>
> After review and if reasonably full-featured. This is proabably A Good
> Idea (tm), I'd like that too.
>
> - A combobox in the toolbar with currently available connections would
> be nice (menu to create conn)
What do you mean with "menu to create conn"? I'd put a combobox with
all available servers in there, and a second one with all databases on
that server..

> - The SQL window would need to maintain its own private connection list
> (it currently has a single private conn).
> - conns should stay open, to retain settings / state.
> - use existing open connection information, else ask for pwd if
> necessary (hint: look at "join slony cluster" in slCluster for how to
> select server/DB)
Ok.. I'll go browsing the code before pestering you with further questions ;-)))))

greetings, Florian Pflug