Re: [HACKERS] plPHP in core?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Psql_General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] plPHP in core?
Date: 2005-04-04 20:17:59
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Robert Treat wrote:

>On Monday 04 April 2005 12:01, Tom Lane wrote:
>

>>Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>>

>>>... If there are no license or build issues I'm in favor.
>>>

>>Peter has pointed out that the problem of circular dependencies is a
>>showstopper for integrating plPHP. The build order has to be
>> Postgres
>> PHP (since its existing DB support requires Postgres to build)
>> plPHP
>>so putting #1 and #3 into the same package is a no go. Which is too
>>bad, but I see no good way around it.
>>

>AFAICT Peter's claim is false. You can install plphp in the order of PHP,
>PostgreSQL,plPHP which is the same for all of the other pl's.
>
>You don't need postgresql installed before php any more than you need it
>installed for perl (although you do need postgresql installed to compile some
>of the perl & php db interfaces, but that is all after the fact.)

I am told that the difference is that PHP gives you a choice of
statically or dynamically linked db support. By contrast, in Perl, for
example, DBD::Pg is always built dynamically (AFAIK). Your assessment
appears to be true for the (very common) case where PHP's client side db
support is dynamically linked.

cheers

andrew