DELETE ... USING

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: eulerto(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br
Subject: DELETE ... USING
Date: 2005-04-04 10:16:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

This patch is a cleaned up version of Euler Taveira de Oliveira's patch
implementing DELETE ... USING. I removed a bunch of unused code (no need
to tlist transformations), updated copyfuncs/equalfuncs, improved the
documentation, rearranged a few things, and added regression tests. I
haven't done psql tab completion. Barring any objections, I'll apply
this to HEAD tomorrow.

On a related note, UPDATE uses the FROM keyword to denote the list of
relations to join with, whereas DELETE uses USING. Should we make USING
an alias for FROM in UPDATE and if so, should we deprecate FROM? This
would be more consistent, which I suppose is a good thing.

-Neil

Attachment Content-Type Size
delete_using-5.patch text/x-patch 14.8 KB