Re: 8.0.1 and the ODBC driver

From: Marko Ristola <marko(dot)ristola(at)kolumbus(dot)fi>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.0.1 and the ODBC driver
Date: 2005-04-02 08:01:39
Lists: pgsql-odbc

My hypotesis is, that the automake information is not needed in the
tar archive at all. If it is needed, it is better to use the
CVS stuff as such.

Maybe it would be good to separate the build information
into two README files in the CVS:

README.first (in CVS, build instructions from CVS)
README.unix (in CVS and tar archive, build instructions from the tar
archive)

README.first would contain the CVS archive build instructions:
* Prerequisites
* Bootstrapping
* "See README.unix for further instructions."
With these you are able to build the ./configure script.

README.unix would contain the normal build instructions:
* Building
./configure
make
make install

So, then the tar archive would contain only
the README.unix file.

In that way the source tar archive users would
get the correct and needed information.

The configure script makes the process of configuring and compiling
easy. Why to make it hard by giving too much
or confusing information?

This is fast to fix, and fixing has a very low risk, but helps a lot
the tar archive users, that compile the psqlodbc by the first time.

I mean those, who do not know the psqlodbc building process
beforehand.

Marko Ristola