Re: locale and character set

From: Tsirkin Evgeny <tsurkin(at)mail(dot)jct(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tsirkin Evgeny <tsurkin(at)jct(dot)ac(dot)il>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: locale and character set
Date: 2005-03-31 14:12:36
Lists: pgsql-admin
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Am Donnerstag, 31. März 2005 15:49 schrieb Tsirkin Evgeny:
>

>>Is there any relation between the locale and character set?
>>

>Every locale expects a certain character set to be used.  You can find that
>out using
>
>$ LC_ALL=foo locale charmap
>
>If you want things to function correctly, you have to use a character set that
>matches the one the locale expects.

Of course i understand that i was just interested in cases were no
particular charset is inforced like SQL_ASCII
but i still want the sorting and searching to work.
The question is also in such case what the server will do if it finds a
character that is not utf-8 ?
I understand from manual that it just show it's hex value ,is that right?

>>For example if i store the data as sql_ascii can i still use the locale
>>as utf-8?
>>In my case i have the data stored as ascii but i just know it is
>>actually utf-8 and i am doing upgrade ,
>>

>That should work, but of course you have no guarantees that the UTF-8 is
>valid, so the sorting routines and others may behave erratically if they find
>an error.

The question is how it will behave will this eraise an error or it will
just not sork correctly?