Re: Loss of data and info from system tables!!

From: Noel Faux <noel(dot)faux(at)med(dot)monash(dot)edu(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, Postgres <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>, hu ping <hping(at)vpac(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Loss of data and info from system tables!!
Date: 2005-03-31 05:51:33
Lists: pgsql-novice

Tom Lane wrote:

>Noel Faux <noel(dot)faux(at)med(dot)monash(dot)edu(dot)au> writes:
>

>>We generally only vacuum
>>tables which are affected by deletes, inserts and updates.
>>

>You can't do that as an exclusive practice :-(. In particular I suppose
>that you never vacuumed your system catalogs at all, and now you are
>behind the eight ball because transaction IDs wrapped around. See
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/maintenance.html#VACUUM-FOR-WRAPAROUND

Thanks heaps for the info. So from reading the following post
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-02/msg00407.php
the only way to retrieve the data is by 'could use pg_resetxlog to back
up the NextXID counter enough to
make your tables and databases reappear (and thereby lose the effects of
however many recent transactions you back up over).

Once you've found a NextXID setting you like, I'd suggest an immediate
pg_dumpall/initdb/reload to make sure you have a consistent set of data.
Don't VACUUM, or indeed modify the DB at all, until you have gotten a
satisfactory dump.'

How much of the data am I likely to get back??
Is there any other way to recovery the data??

Many thanks
Noel

> regards, tom lane

>TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your

PhD student
Monash University
Clayton
Victoria 3800
Australia
Ph: +61 3 9905 1418
e-mail: noel(dot)faux(at)med(dot)monash(dot)edu(dot)au
web site: http;//vbc.med.monash.edu.au/~fauxn/

Attachment Content-Type Size
noel.faux.vcf text/x-vcard 287 bytes