Re: BUG #1561: wrong detection of number of parameters in

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Ingolf Knopf <iknopf(at)csc-dd(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1561: wrong detection of number of parameters in
Date: 2005-03-27 05:54:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Ingolf Knopf wrote:

> "java.sql.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate()" throws "java.sql.SQLException",
> if the prepared sql-string contains '?' within a C-like comment.
>
> Example:
> select relname
> from pg_class
> where /*relowner = ? and*/
> relname = ?
>
> In this case, the java.sql.PreparedStatement of PostgreSQL requires two
> parameters, but I have only one.

The JDBC driver doesn't currently parse the statement in much detail. It
really only understands string literals, semicolon-separated statements,
and some JDBC-specified {...} escapes.

A workaround would be to "quote" the comment:

select relname from pg_class where /*" relowner = ? and "*/ relname = ?

which should work (although I have not tested it)

There's no real reason why the driver can't be modified to understand
C-style comments, someone just needs to find the time to do it..
(patches to pgsql-jdbc please ;-)

-O