Re: psql: default base and password reading

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Adam Osuchowski <adwol(at)polsl(dot)gliwice(dot)pl>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql: default base and password reading
Date: 2001-10-14 20:52:04
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Might as well use getpass() if available. My man page says "A getpass
> function appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX.", so it should be available on
> most systems.

Hmm. HPUX's man page for getpass says:

STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
getpass(): AES, SVID2, SVID3, XPG2, XPG3, XPG4

However, it also says:

getpass() reads up to a newline or EOF from the file /dev/tty, after
prompting on the standard error output with the null-terminated string
prompt and disabling echoing. A pointer is returned to a null-
terminated string of at most 8 characters. If /dev/tty cannot be
opened, a NULL pointer is returned.

The 8-char limit is alone sufficient to disqualify it for use in psql.