Problem setting runpath

From: Joe Halpin <joe(dot)halpin(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem setting runpath
Date: 2005-03-26 21:46:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

I'm on Solaris 10 (Intel) using gcc. I'd like to add /usr/local/lib to
the built-in runpath. I've tried

1. setting LD_RUN_PATH=/usr/local/lib before running configure (also
tried adding this to the command line for configure).

2. Adding LDFLAGS='-Wl,--runpath,/usr/local/lib' to the configure
command line.

The upshot is that /usr/local/lib doesn't get included in the runpath,
and I have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get things to work. I'd rather not
do that because this will be used in an environment where users set lots
of different LD_LIBRARY_PATH in their shell startup files.

I know I can use crle to add /usr/local/lib systemwide, but that makes
me nervous, and I'd rather get runpath to work if I can.

How can I tell configure to add /usr/local/lib to runpath, and have that
built into the executables?

Thanks

Joe