Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?

From: Steve Poe <spoe(at)sfnet(dot)cc>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: performance pgsql <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?
Date: 2005-03-26 13:19:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

>The Chenbros are nice, but kinda pricey ($800) if Steve doesn't need the
>machine to be rackable.
>
>If your primary goal is redundancy, you may wish to consider the possibility
>of building a brand-new machine for $7k (you can do a lot of machine for
>$7000 if it doesn't have to be rackable) and re-configuring the old machine
>and using it as a replication or PITR backup. This would allow you to
>configure the new machine with only a moderate amount of hardware redundancy
>while still having 100% confidence in staying running.

Our servers are not racked, so a new one does not have to be. *If* it is
possible, I'd like to replace the main server with a new one. I could
tweak the new one the way I need it and work with the vendor to make
sure everything works well. In either case, I'll still need to test how
positioning of the tables/indexes across a raid10 will perform. I am
also waiting onProIV developers feedback. If their ProvIV modules will
not run under AMD64, or take advantage of the processor, then I'll stick
with the server we have.

Steve Poe