Re: unicode support vs native install

From: Reini Urban <rurban(at)x-ray(dot)at>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unicode support vs native install
Date: 2005-03-23 17:22:03
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Bruce Momjian schrieb:
> pgman wrote:
>>Eric J. Schwarzenbach wrote:
>>
>>>The Running & Installing PostgreSQL On Native Windows FAQ has an item on
>>>not being able to use unicode
>>>
>>>http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/FAQ_windows.html#2.6
>>>
>>>"/Because Postgres relies on the operating system for some string
>>>related functions, the OS needs to support the same encoding as the one
>>>that is used as the database encoding. Unfortunately, Windows does not
>>>support some encodings that are available as server-side encodings for PG."
>>>
>>>/My understanding is the 8.0 windows installer prevents istalling utf-8
>>>but you can get around it with initdb if you know what your doing.
>>>Apparently only some things related to utf-8 data will be broken like
>>>sort ordering.
>>>/
>>>/Does this apply to Cygwin installs of PostgreSQL as well?
>>
>>Yes, it does. The problem is that we only support UTF8 and Windows is
>>UTF16. If you don't care about character ordering you can initdb with
>>locale of C and use Unicode as your encoding.
>
> Uh, this is assuming that Cygwin doesn't add UTF8 to Windows. I don't
> think it does, but I am not sure.

cygwin supports no multi-byte charsets because it uses only newlib,
not the windows string c runtime (MSVCRT.DLL), which is multi-byte
compatible.

I didn't check so far how postgresql works around multi-byte issues.
Maybe it applies to cygwin as well.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban