Re: PostgreSQL and Patents: no position against

From: Jean-Christophe Arnu <jx(at)tuxfarm(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and Patents: no position against
Date: 2005-03-10 19:23:31
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Dawid Kuroczko m'expliquait  (le 10.03.2005 14:38):

>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:26:52 +0100, Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul(at)argudo(dot)org>
>wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>As you may all know already, Patents in Europe have been voted irregularly, in
>>total violation of European Laws, by the European Council (more info :
>>http://wiki.ffii.org/Cons050307En).
>>
>>I'm really surprised PostgreSQL doesn't say clearly we are (most of us I hope),
>>against patents, on the website for example.
>>

>I think there should be a campaing banner or at least a link.  As far
>as I know only patent lawyers really benefit from patents (in case of
>land of ideas, algorithms, etc).  PostgreSQL AFAIK doesn't hold any
>patents, it is patents that hold PostgreSQL's development (the ARC
>patent case, "unability" to use patents "freed" by IBM, etc.).
>
>In my humble opinion -- we should put the banner or link unless there
>is any sane reason not to.

Hi,
    I don't know if this is politically correct to have some kind of
solidarity between Open Source projects. Patents may be a barrier to a
lot of the free other projects surroundings PostgreSQL (for which
PostgreSQL is a core resource). These projects are making PostgreSQL
much attractive to people (depending on their real aim in the use of
PostgreSQL). So IMHO we should clearly say what we think about Patents
on Software in E.U. .

    That's a kind of important action, I hope (just like  Jean-Paul) you
understand us.
Cheers,

--
Jean-Christophe