Re: Crystal Reports: Connection rejected: FATAL: no PostgreSQL

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: "Rover, Mischa de" <mischa(dot)de(dot)rover(at)capgemini(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Crystal Reports: Connection rejected: FATAL: no PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-03-09 21:22:36
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Rover, Mischa de wrote:

> ERROR [datainterface]
> com.crystaldecisions.reports.reportdefinition.datainterface.h: Logon
> Error: Connection rejected: FATAL:  no PostgreSQL user name specified in
> startup packet

This means that you are passing no user information when trying to make
a connection (JDBC does not default to any particular user). It's a bit
weird that it works against 7.3, though. If you specify
"?protocolVersion=2" in the connection URL against an 8.0 server, does
it work?

Is Crystal Reports the one that eats all the stack traces? It'd be
useful to know the call path that generated this exception.

You have a few of choices as to how to pass in the user info:

- pass it to DriverManager.getConnection(url, user, password)
- pass a "user" property when calling DriverManager.getConnection(url,
properties)
- pass it in the URL: jdbc:postgresql://host:port/database?user=username

I'm not familiar with Crystal Reports so I don't know how you'd
configure it to use one of these approaches. Does it let you tweak the
connection URL directly?

> person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient,
> you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate,
> distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this
> message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all
> copies of this message.

You are sending this message to a public list, so the boilerplate is
pointless. (and anyway, what does "RCPT TO" mean if not "intended
recipient"?)

-O