Re: BUG #1523: precision column value returned from getTypeInfo()

From: Sergio Lob <Sergio_Lob(at)iwaysoftware(dot)com>
To: oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org,Sergio Lob <sergio_lob(at)iwaysoftware(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #1523: precision column value returned from getTypeInfo()
Date: 2005-03-04 13:58:20
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-jdbc
Hi Oliver,
    The Microsoft ODBC 2.0 SDK guide and reference (Appendix D) contains
a pretty thorough definition of what precision means in relation to
various data types. I have never seen a definition of precision in any
JDBC doc I have read, however.
According to ODBC 2.0 spec definition of precision, "the precision of a
numeric column or parameter refers to the maximum number of digits used
by the data type of the column or parameter. The precision of a
nonnumeric column or parameter generally refers to either the maximum
length or defined length of the column or parameter. The following table
defines the precision for each ODBC SQL data type:

SQL Type                                             Precision
-----------                                             ----------
SQL_CHAR                                          The defined length of
the column or parameter. For
SQL_VARCHAR                                  example, the precision of a
column defined as CHAR(10)
                                                               is 10

SQL_LONGVARCHAR                       The maximum length of the column
or parameter

SQL_DECIMAL                                    The defined number of
digits. For example, the
SQL_NUMERIC                                    precision of a column
defined as NUMERIC(10,3) is 10

SQL_BIT                                                1

SQL_TINYINT                                       3

SQL_SMALLINT                                   5

SQL_INTEGER                                      10

SQL_BIGINT                                          19(if signed) or 20
(if unsigned)

SQL_REAL                                             7

SQL_FLOAT                                          15
SQL_DOUBLE

SQL_BINARY                                         The defined length of
the column or parameter. For example,
SQL_VARBINARY                                  the precision of a column
defined as BINARY(10) is 10

SQL_LONGVARBINBARY                   The maximum length of the column or
parameter

SQL_DATE                                              10 (the number of
characters in yyyy-mm-dd format)

SQL_TIME                                                8 (the number of
characters in hh:mm:ss format)

SQL_TIMESTAMP                                    The number of
characters in the

"yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss[.f...]" format used by the

timestamp data type. For example, if the timestamp does
                                                                   not
use seconds of fractional digits, the precision is 16
                                                                  (the
number of characters in the "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm"

format). If a timestamp uses thousandths of a second,
                                                                   the
precision is 23 ("yyyy-mm-dd  hh:mm:ss.fff" format)

I have found problems with the answer set of other JDBC methods which
return metadata information as well. For instance, the description of
length values of  certain columns in the DatabaseMetadata.getColumns()
method answer set return negative numbers (-4 ?).
This data being crucial to applications that I have written, I have
unforunately had to take PostgresSQL off the list of JDBC data sources
that I can support through my application.
Anyway, I hope I answered your question about precision.

Sergio Lob