Re: [JDBC] Where are we on stored procedures?

From: "Francisco Figueiredo Jr(dot)" <fxjrlists(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] Where are we on stored procedures?
Date: 2005-03-01 02:11:05
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-jdbc

Markus Schaber wrote:
| Hi, Francisco,
| Francisco Figueiredo Jr. schrieb:
|>In fact, I think people keep requesting me support on Npgsql for that
|>because MS Sql server supports it and they are porting their code to use
|>Postgresql and facing that difficult.
|>Indeed, for (a) we could use an approach similar to Ms sql server. We
|>could have a way of the procedure say if it wanted to send the rows
|>affected information or not.
|>And about (b) I think that it is only on trivial cases that people
|>really want to use this feature :)
| As you need to tweak the function/procedure source to implement (a), you
| can also tweak the function/procedure to return the row cound and
| whatever other diagnostics you need.

Yeap, You are right.
| For newly implemented stored procedures, we could create a special
| diagnostics result set that every procedure creates. This usually
| contains some success/error information, but the procedure could add
| additional rows to it.

I think this could be a very good idea. I think you could create an
special tag which would say to create this special resultset or not as,
I think, not every stored procedure would need it.

I think this would be very nice.

Thanks Markus, for feedback.

- --

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Membro Fundador do Projeto MonoBrasil - MonoBrasil Project Founder Member

"Science without religion is lame;
religion without science is blind."

~                  ~ Albert Einstein
Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (GNU/Linux)