Postgresql UPDATE LOCKS unrelated rows.

From: "Ravi T Ramachandra" <ravi(dot)ramachandra(at)wipro(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgresql UPDATE LOCKS unrelated rows.
Date: 2003-09-18 06:43:01
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi,

We are using postgresql 7.3.2 on lunux platform.   We performed locking
test as follows via JDBC:

Started 2 concurrent transaction with autocommit false and isolation
READ_COMMITTED :

Transaction 1:
===========
Update row 1
Sleep for 30 seconds
commit:

Transaction 2:
===========
Updated row 10000
commit

The second update had to wait for the first update operation to finish.
We also made sure that the 2 unrelated rows are not on the same page.

Is this expected behavior ?
Does update lock the whole table ?

Regards,
Ravi

whatsoever is strictly prohibited.

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Andy CallanDate: 2003-09-18 09:01:41