Postgresql UPDATE LOCKS unrelated rows.

From: "Ravi T Ramachandra" <ravi(dot)ramachandra(at)wipro(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgresql UPDATE LOCKS unrelated rows.
Date: 2003-09-18 06:43:01
Lists: pgsql-admin
We are using postgresql 7.3.2 on lunux platform.   We performed locking
test as follows via JDBC:
Started 2 concurrent transaction with autocommit false and isolation
Transaction 1:
Update row 1
Sleep for 30 seconds
Transaction 2:
Updated row 10000
The second update had to wait for the first update operation to finish.
We also made sure that the 2 unrelated rows are not on the same page.
Is this expected behavior ?
Does update lock the whole table ?

whatsoever is strictly prohibited.

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Andy CallanDate: 2003-09-18 09:01:41