Re: Abandoning PGobject

From: Markus Schaber <schabios(at)logi-track(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Abandoning PGobject
Date: 2005-02-28 21:53:00
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi, Oliver,

Oliver Jowett schrieb:

>> - How do we handle endianness? PostGIS canonical binary representation
>> includes endian information, but what about the other types?
>
> I have not looked at your code,

Well, currently, it is rather a skeleton than a code, and endianness
just does not exist :-)

> but the simplest approach seems to be to
> only support binary transfer on V3 connections. The standard V3 types
> have binary representations that use fixed endianness irregardless of
> the endianness of the server.

That sounds good. So type implementors will have four possibilities:

- use fixed endianness for canonical binary representation (as the
built-in types do, preferred solution)
- include an endianness flag in the data (as PostGIS does, following the
OpenGIS wkb spec)
- probe the endianness on connection initialization (forConnection() method)
- fall back to text only representation.

Markus
--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich