Re: Referencing created tables fails with message that

From: Sven Willenberger <sven(at)dmv(dot)com>
To: tommy(at)tommysvensson(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Referencing created tables fails with message that
Date: 2005-02-28 04:25:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Tommy Svensson presumably uttered the following on 02/27/05 18:50:
> I have just installed Postgresql and tried it for the first time.
>
> One very serious problem I ran into was when actually trying to use
> created tables.
> Creating a simple table without any foreign keys works OK, but after
> creating the
> table it is not possible to do a select on it! I tried the following
> variants:
>
> SELECT * FROM <table>;
> SELECT * FROM public.<table>;
> SELECT * FROM <schema>.public.<table>;
>
> All result in the message "The relation <table> does not exist!" or "The
> relation public.<table> does not exist!".
>
> Creating a new table with a foreign key referencing the first table is
> also impossible due to exactly the same error message!
>
> This behaviour is the same using DBVisualizer/jdbc or psql.
>
> So the question is how do you actually reference the tables you have
> created so that postgres will find them ?
> The tables do actually get created. I can se them in DBVisualizer.

What database did you create the tables in? and what database are you
connecting to when trying to issue your SELECT statements? Are you
trying to SELECT from the same application you are using to CREATE
TABLE? It sounds like you created the tables in <database> and perhaps
are trying to SELECT * FROM while connected to template1.

Sven