Re: Import csv file into multiple tables in Postgres

From: Andrew Hammond <ahammond(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
To: Deepblues <deepblues(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Import csv file into multiple tables in Postgres
Date: 2005-02-28 02:28:17
Lists: pgsql-novice
The brief answer is no, you can not import from a single csv file into
multiple tables.

If the csv file consists of two distinct sections of data, then you
could of course split it into two csv files. If what you want to do is
normalize existing data, then you should first import the existing data
into a working table. Then you can manipulate it within the database.

It is unlikely that you will need perl to do any of this.

Please post a sample of the data and the schema into which you plan to
import your data.

Drew