Re: PGPASSWORD

From: postgresbugs <postgresbugs(at)grifent(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGPASSWORD
Date: 2005-02-25 21:22:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Oliver Jowett wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com> writes:
>>
>>> Assuming that you can't tweak .pgpass (for example, you're just
>>> propagating a password you interactively got from the user), what's
>>> the recommended way to provide the password?
>>

>> In the connection string given to PQconnectdb (or equivalent).
>

> If you're a shell script calling psql / pg_dump / etc, how do you do
> this?
>
> -O

Exactly. Also, when a script is executed from a binary and the password
is passed in as a parameter and PGPASSWORD is set inside the script, it
is local to the script.

I understand that on some operating systems environmental variables may
be seen by anyone on the system. In every Linux, UNIX, and even Win 2k
with batch files, the variable can be local and even if exported can be
unset by the script before it exits.

Unless the utilities like psql and pg_dump are changed to accept a
password as a command line option, I don't think PGPASSWORD should go
away. It is too useful for those that know how to properly use and
destroy environmental variables. The documentation points out that the
use of PGPASSWORD can be dangerous on some systems. I think it is up to
the administrators of those systems to make that choice to use or not
use rather than have a very useful mechanism removed with no viable
alternative.

Again, the advantage is I can let users with no database login have
controlled access to database data and utilities without them actually
having a user name and password to the database. Without the ability to
use PGPASSWORD, I have to expose the password in a .pgpass file for
every user I want to allow access. I think that is far more insecure.

John Griffiths