PGPASSWORD

From: postgresbugs <postgresbugs(at)grifent(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PGPASSWORD
Date: 2005-02-25 14:16:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs
I know this is not a bug, but I didn't see a list that I thought this
would fit into.

I saw in the documentation that PGPASSWORD is deprecated in favor of of
the .pgpass file for security reasons.

I would like to recommend removing the deprecation flag from PGPASSWORD.
It is very useful in dynamic setting of passwords by applications to run
pg_dump and psql and the like from applications. I use it in several
applications. This way I can give users access to database information
without giving them access to the database. I also use in an application
server in a process to make one PostgreSQL database a backup of another
and then the application server keeps the two in sync.

Without PGPASSWORD or applications like pg_dump and psql accepting a
password on the command line, I would not be able to do this since the
user running the application server may not have access to the actual
database.

Hope you will consider this.

Thanks,
John Griffiths