Re: Peformance Tuning Opterons/ Hard Disk Layout

From: John Allgood <john(at)turbocorp(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruno Almeida do Lago <teolupus(at)gmail(dot)com>,"'Michael Adler'" <adler(at)pobox(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Peformance Tuning Opterons/ Hard Disk Layout
Date: 2005-02-23 19:15:52
Lists: pgsql-performance
I think maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. At most we will
service 200-250 connections across all the 9 databases mentioned. The
database we are building is for a trucking company. Each of the
databases represents a different division. With one master database that
everything is updated to. Most of the access to the database is by
simple queries. Most of the IO intensive stuff is done when revenue
reports are generated and when we have our month/year end processing.
All the trucking loads that are mark as delivered are transferred to our
master database during night time processing. All that will be handled
using custom scripts. Maybe I have given a better explanation of the
application. my biggest concern is how to partition the shared storage
for maximum performance. Is there a real benifit to having more that one
raid5 partition or am I wasting my time.

Thanks

John Allgood - ESC