Re: [GENERAL] How to Prevent Certain Kinds of Joins?

From: Heather Johnson <hjohnson(at)nypost(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] How to Prevent Certain Kinds of Joins?
Date: 2005-02-22 21:04:53
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe wrote:

> Why not change the keys that currently connect them to something
> different (i.e. random noise) and make a NEW table that could join them
> with those random keys that is restriced access wise to only the chosen
> few.

This might work rather nicely. It would enable us to restrict direct
access to only a single table---a table with no purpose other than to
faciliate a join of these two other tables. And staff that needs direct
access to the original tables can continue to have it.

> Or do you need to actually ever re-reference the two datasets? If not,
> then just lose the connecting data when you insert the rows.

Yes, unfortunately we do need to re-reference them. But I think the idea
above will work out pretty well. Thank you for your help!

Heather