Re: [GENERAL] How to Prevent Certain Kinds of Joins?

From: Heather Johnson <hjohnson(at)nypost(dot)com>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] How to Prevent Certain Kinds of Joins?
Date: 2005-02-22 20:30:44
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-general
One of the tables contains personally identifiable information (PII)
(e.g., email, first and last name, etc.). The other contains "click
stream" data (information about where on our website users have gone).
In order to be sensitive to users privacy, we don't want to ever (even
accidentally) run queries that would combine PII and click stream data.
So we're looking for ways to put "walls" up against combining the data.
We understand that anyone with ample access to the database can
deliberately combine the data if they chose to do so in blatent
violation of our policies. But we want to set something up that would
put an obstacle or two in the path of anyone who might accidentally run
such a query.

The ideas about setting up views might work. I guess we'd just have to
change the permissions of users who have access to the db so that they
can only use the views and not query the tables directly.