Re: BUG #1482: SQL ERROR IN 7.4.7

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Shujun Huang <shujun(dot)huang(at)noaa(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1482: SQL ERROR IN 7.4.7
Date: 2005-02-22 00:44:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Shujun Huang wrote:
> RENCENTLY I RAN INTO THIS ERROR CODE 25P01 WHICH IS "NO ACTIVE SQL
> TRNASACTION". THE POSTMASTER IS RUNNING OK. THIS HAPPENED AFTER WE UPGRADED
> FROM 7.4.6 TO 7.4.7.
> ANY INSERT/UPDATE QUERY RUNS OK, A SIMPLE RETRIEVE QUERY IS ALSO RUNNING OK,
> ANY RETRIEVE QUERIES INVOLVE IN CURSOR FETCHING IS NOT WORKING.
> IT GIVES ABOVE ERROR. IF THERE ARE MORE THAN ONE COURSORS IN A ROUTINE, THE
> ERROR CODE IS 34000 WHICH SAYS "IHVALID CURSOR NAME".
> ANY IDEA WHAT WAS WRONG?

Your caps lock key appears to be broken, for starters :)

Non-holdable cursors can only be accessed inside the SQL transaction
that created them. Cursor names must also be session-unique, valid
identifiers. But it is difficult to say more about the cause of the
problem without more information. Please provide the exact sequence of
queries that cause the error messages; one way to find this information
is to set "log_statement = 'all'" in postgresql.conf

-Neil