Re: BUG #1487: Index problem

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: "Tom M(dot) Yeh" <tom_m_yeh(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1487: Index problem
Date: 2005-02-21 17:14:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom M. Yeh wrote:
> Yes, it really depends on Locale. If I created a
> database with Locale = C, the problem won't happen (at
> least so far). BTW, I forgot to mention I tested with
> some Chinese and Japanese characters.
>
> However, it raises another issue why a wrong Locale
> would damage index? It shall only affect records with
> wrong conversion, not something like '1000'.

Search the list archives for LIKE and locale - different locales have
different sorting rules. Setting locale=C makes everything simple.

With 8.0 you can define your own operator classes to tell PG it can use
an index (see ch 11.6 of the manuals). I think there are examples in the
mailing-list archives.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd