was: BUG #1466: syslogger issues

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: was: BUG #1466: syslogger issues
Date: 2005-02-21 10:18:19
Lists: pgsql-patches
Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>>There is special code in the send_message_to_server_log
>>function to make
>>>sure it's written directly to the file.
>>If the logger is complaining, it's quite possibly because it's
>>unable to
>>write to its file.  Now that you mention it, doesn't this code go into
>>infinite recursion if write_syslogger_file_binary() tries to ereport?

Yes, apparently.

Actually, elog.c code should look like this:

if ((Log_destination & LOG_DESTINATION_STDERR) ...)
    if (am_syslogger)
       write_syslogger_file(, buf.len);
       fwrite(, 1, buf.len, stderr);

This avoids unnecessary pipe traffic (which might fail too) and gettext

Next, the elog call in write_syslogger_file_binary will almost certainly
loop, so it should call write_stderr then (since eventlog is usually
fixed-size with cyclic writing, even in out-of-disk-space conditions
something might get logged).

3rd, I've been proposing to have redirect_stderr=true on by default at
least on win32 earlier, I still think this is reasonable.