Re: vpath build (was Re: cvsignore)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vpath build (was Re: cvsignore)
Date: 2004-01-24 19:46:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> writes:
> I am currently building outside the source tree so that I don't have
> these problems.  It works fine, except that some files are created in
> the source tree anyway.  I think it's mostly output from bison and flex:

That's intentional, although it might not be necessary to do it that way
(when building a distribution tarball, we do or can build within the
source tree).  One advantage of doing it like this in a vpath build is
that those files are the same across all architectures and so you don't
need to build them again for each one ... but of course, if you're not
using vpath to handle multiple architecture builds then you don't care.
Personally I don't use vpath much and don't really care if we change
that behavior --- any other opinions out there?

> Also, the regression tests can be run fine with "make installcheck", but
> if I want to run the parallel schedule, I have to point pg_regress to
> the source dir.  Maybe the file could be copied to the build dir ...

That's an oversight, surely; but ISTM it worked last time I tried it.