Re: [HACKERS] Re: [INTERFACES] retrieving varchar size

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: dg(at)illustra(dot)com (David Gould)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [INTERFACES] retrieving varchar size
Date: 1998-04-27 14:52:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

dg(at)illustra(dot)com (David Gould) writes:
> Or we might even make PQexec return as soon as the query is sent and parsed.
> It could ruturn a handle to the query that could be used to get results later.
> Perhaps a polling form might be added too:

We're way ahead of you ;-). See last week's discussion on "Proposal
for async support in libpq" (it was only on the hackers list, not
interfaces). I have already implemented the original proposal, though
not tested it fully.

The proposal will have to be modified some to deal with this notion
of returning multiple results from a single query. I haven't worked
out exactly what I'd like to see, but it won't be too far different
from what David is envisioning.