Re: Task manager fails to terminate postmaster process.

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Geoffrey Ducharme <geoffrey(dot)ducharme(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Task manager fails to terminate postmaster process.
Date: 2005-02-18 19:42:15
Lists: pgsql-admin
Geoffrey Ducharme wrote:
> Hi everyone, I'm new to PostgreSQL administration. I hope the people
> here will have some ideas to help me out.
>
> My current situation is that I am moving my database across machines
> without access to network. It would be possible, but more difficult to
> install a network.
>
> I understand that the recommanded way to make a back up is to shut
> down the postmaster and related process, then copy the files. This
> worked fine on the donor machine. (Windows XP SP2 postgresql 8.0.1)
>
> I grabbed the file to send them to the receiving machine (Win 2000) On
> this one, however, I had a problem. The Task Manager does not allow me
> to shut off the postmaster process. Specificaly the error message
> says:"Unable to terminate process, the requested operation could not
> be completed. Access is denied".

It sounds like you are trying to shut down the service without being an
administrator or the owner of PostgreSQL?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> My impression is that such an error message wold only happen on system
> critical process.
>
> So, what is the problem? Is this the right path to migration? Would
> installing the network a be a better solution?
>
> Wondering,
>
> Geoffrey

Command Prompt, Inc., your source for PostgreSQL replication,
professional support, programming, managed services, shared
and dedicated hosting. Home of the Open Source Projects plPHP,
plPerlNG, pgManage,  and pgPHPtoolkit.
Contact us now at: +1-503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com