Re: Front End Languages for PostgreSQL

From: Bo Lorentsen <bl(at)netgroup(dot)dk>
To: "Van Ingen, Lane" <lvaningen(at)ESNCC(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Front End Languages for PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-02-17 07:22:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

Van Ingen, Lane wrote:

>Does anybody have any solid information that says that one language is better as a front end to a PostgreSQL database over another, and why ?

I think this has more to do with the demands of the language, I have
used it with both PHP, Python and C++. I prefer python (mod_python for
apache) and C++ but this has nothing to do with the postgresql binding,
but a lot about the language.

>We are coming out of a PHP / MySQL environment, have adopted PostgreSQL, and are trying to decide which
>language would be best to use with PostgreSQL. Since the application has to be rewritten, we are considering lanuages like PHP and Java. The application is web-based.

Hmm, I think the DB (binding) is of no relevance regarding choice of
language. The software model you are (planning to) using are more
relevant, like : will you need a OO class model, and do you prefer
exceptions for future error handling. The last thing to consider is the
performance demands, but the DB binding has nothing to do with this.

Hope this helps ...

/BL