Re: Development question

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: leon-pg(at)comvision(dot)com
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Development question
Date: 2005-02-14 15:20:37
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
leon-pg(at)comvision(dot)com wrote:
> Andreas, I understand where you're coming from. The issue arises because
> of a fundamental difference in Mac OS vs Windows/Linux window
> management. All Mac OS applications are a hybrid of MDI and SDI. I'll
> try to explain:
>
> SDI Features
> - There's generally no parent window enclosing the document windows
>
> MDI Features
> - Every app has a Window menu listing all of the app's open windows.
> This, along with the Cmd-` keyboard shortcut, are the two methods for
> accessing other windows of your app without clicking directly on them.
> - There's only one Dock icon per application, regardless of how many
> windows are open
>
> Since pgAdmin is not a wxWidgets MDI app, I don't think that wxWidgets
> is going to provide us with the Window menu.
> (http://www.wxwidgets.org/manuals/2.5.3/wx_wxmdiparentframe.html) I'm
> not familiar enough with wxWidgets to know if it can be made to provide
> a Window menu for SDI apps.
>
> pgAdmin seems like it's part of the way towards fitting the OS X model
> nicely. As I mentioned before, the work of tracking open frames was
> already done for me. A search of the source for "frames" reveals this
> code. Building a Window menu based on the frame list shouldn't be hard.
> The other related issue is full Cmd-` support.
> I am able to Cmd-` from the main window to a query window, but when I
> try to Cmd-` back to the main window, I just get a ` in the SQL text area.

Ok, so MAC obviously needs a hint which frames are there, still I'd
guess that there's already a mac specific function wx function for that
(like that wxApp::s_macAboutMenuId in frmMain). I'd expect a wxMAC
function to be called in every frame to register it in the window list
(IMHO this should happen in wxTopLevelWindow automatically). Please try
a multi-windowed sample in wx, and post your results to wx. Finally,
that'll probably more helpful.

Regards,
Andreas