pgAdmin III won't connect over ssh tunnel

From: Laramie Crocker <laramie(at)LaramieCrocker(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgAdmin III won't connect over ssh tunnel
Date: 2005-02-12 18:46:22
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Folks,

I have searched the archive, and didn't find an answer, so excuse me if
this has been addressed already.

I have the latest pgAdmin III running on Windoze XP.

I set up an ssh tunnel to my server using cygwin's ssh client.

ssh -L 5433:remote1:5432 laramie(at)remote1

I use the cygwin psql client to connect from my localhost:

psql --> ssh(at)localhost --> sshd(at)remote1 --> postmaster(at)remote1

with the command

psql -h localhost -p 5433 -U laramie mydatabase

and this works.

Now, with pgAdmin III, I use the GUI, and I select
localhost
5433
SSL [no input]
and my password

I get the Connection refused dialog after a really long time.

My questions:
1) is it possible to change the connection timeout?
2) when I sniff the port on 5433 locally, I find that pgAdmin III is
sending binary bytes, then hangs. Is pgAdmin III insisting on SSL even
though I told it not to?

Since this configuration works with the plain old command line client
psql, I would assume that it would work with pgAdmin III. I much prefer
this port-forwarding setup, since I know and love ssh/sshd and I'm not
all that interested in punching another hole in the server's firewall to
allow postgress through. Similarly, I know how to get ssh working with
certificates, and don't want to have a separate process for installing
certs for pg's clients.

Thanks,
Laramie