Re: ERROR: column "total_cost" is of type numeric but expression

From: Markus Schaber <schabios(at)logi-track(dot)com>
To: Antony Paul <antonypaul24(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: column "total_cost" is of type numeric but expression
Date: 2005-02-11 11:02:41
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi, Antony,

Antony Paul schrieb:

> I am testing PostgreSQL 8.0.1. I compiled and installed it.
> Downloaded JDBC driver postgresql-8.0-310.jdbc3.jar for JDK 1.4.(I was
> unable to find it in source) Dumped my 7.3.3 database. Restored it in
> new installation. Run the application and it gives this error.
> The error is when I use setString() to insert into a numeric
> field. I hope it is bug. Otherwise we have to rewrite our application.
> The error message can be seen in server log also.

Using setString() to insert anything else from text types is not
possible any more using pgjdbc 8.0 jars, as the new driver makes
stricter use of type checking. One of our third-party apps also suffers
from this problems.

I can three solutions / workarounds for your problem:

- Use the pgjdbc 7.4 jar file, it should work fine against a postgresql
8.0 server. You can also stay with the 7.3 jar you used against your
7.3.3 server, as AFAIK pg8.0 still supports the V2 query protocol.

- Use a "?::numeric" cast in your prepared statement (not tested here).

- Update your application to use the proper numeric types.

Markus

--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich