Re: Compiling using Visual Studio 2003

From: Paul Cochrane <paul(dot)m(dot)cochrane(at)tuht(dot)scot(dot)nhs(dot)uk>
To: David Brown <time(at)bigpond(dot)net(dot)au>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Compiling using Visual Studio 2003
Date: 2005-02-11 10:01:54
Lists: pgsql-odbc

David Brown wrote:

> Paul Cochrane wrote:
>
>> I asked years ago agout this. Google for "psqlodbc bde schema" and
>> it's the first match. Basically when using a schema enabled postgres
>> the table names are returned as 'public.tablename' instead of plain
>> 'tablename'. This screws up the applications as it upsets all the
>> data models for the forms. The application needs to work with both
>> the paradox table version and postgres so I need a way of hiding the
>> "public." returned to paradox. I've managed to do this by adding
>> another compile option "HIDE_PUBLIC_SCHEMA" and modifying the
>> PGAPI_TABLES routine to return NULL if the schema name happens to be
>> PUBLIC (#ifdef around the line set_tuplefield_string(&row->tuple[1],
>> GET_SCHEMA_NAME(table_owner));). This seems to work.
>

> Paul, you may find that recent versions of the driver no longer have
> the schema problem, eg 8.00.0004. Paradox uses the BDE for all data
> access, and I no longer have this problem with Delphi and the BDE.

I can't get it it to work for long enough to even test it when schema
are enabled (yet). It may work as standard but I doubt it.

>> My next problem which I'm working on at the moment is that the new
>> driver completely crashes with no error messages when opening certain
>> tables. I can open some but others simply crash paradox (no GPF no
>> nothing). All I get is 2 errors in the server log: could not receive
>> data from client: Connection reset by peer &
>> unexpected EOF on client connection.
>>
>> I'm not expecting you to solve this one at present. It may be paradox
>> being a bit flaky and nothing to do with the ODBC driver (although I
>> suspect it is). All I know is that it works with psqlodbc 7.3.200 &
>> postgres 7.2.X but isn't working with my compiled driver 8.0.4 and
>> postgres 8.0.1. I'm about to downgrade postgres to 7 to see if that
>> has any more luck.
>>
> Do you have Text (Memo) or blob columns by any chance?

The original paradox tables did have memo fields. I converted them to a
LONGVARCHAR (-1). Would this be a blob in Postgres? Is this a known
problem? (He asks clutching at a handy straw beside the monitor)

Paul

--
Paul Cochrane (paul(dot)m(dot)cochrane(at)tuht(dot)scot(dot)nhs(dot)uk)