Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering

From: Marty Scholes <marty(at)outputservices(dot)com>
To: Olivier Sirven <osirven(at)elma(dot)fr>
Cc: herve(at)elma(dot)fr, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, Marty Scholes <marty(at)outputservices(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering
Date: 2005-01-31 15:24:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Tell me if I am wrong but it sounds to me like like
> an endless problem....

Agreed. Such it is with caching. After doing some informal
benchmarking with 8.0 under Solaris, I am convinced that our major choke
point is WAL synchronization, at least for applications with a high
commit rate.

We have noticed a substantial improvement in performance with 8.0 vs
7.4.6. All of the update/insert problems seem to have gone away, save
WAL syncing.

I may have to take back what I said about indexes.